Resize Images Without Losing Quality | Photoshop Tutorial

In this Photoshop tutorial, learn how to resize images without losing quality by using smart objects instead of rasterized images.

Photo Credit – Joe Gardner

If you have any questions or comments post them below!

– – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – –

Music

– – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – –

Follow Pixel & Bracket:

E-Mail:
pixelandbracket@gmail.com

This post was written by

Here are the official Qira Dsignz web admin. Find out the latest info about product, sales and updates.

35 Responses so far.

1. Scott K says:

Thanks for the video, though not quite what I was hoping for given the title. How does one increase an image *beyond* 100% without losing quality? I think that’s what most people who click this video are probably interested in. Cheers.

• Pixel & Bracket says:

you are exactly right. the problem is that beyond 100%… quality loss is unavoidable. there’s a grey area, maybe between 100-125% that the image is still acceptable (depending on the format/publication). HOWEVER, there are some techniques to help cover up some of the quality loss (surface blur, unsharp mask, etc). based on the popularity of this tutorial and the number of people searching for ways to increase quality I definitely plan on recording a tutorial showing a few of those processes. thanks for the comment though Scott, I’ll let you know when I release that video!

• SiNSi says:

You probably want to use something like alienskin blowup 3

• Danijel Ćelić says:

Scott K Yes

• Chase Nuuhiwa says:

That is actually the exact thing I was thinking. Deceiving title.

• thethomasboy says:

​@Pixel & Bracket I think many people would find a succinct yet comprehensive tutorial like this very useful. The infinite complexity and power of the tools PS / AI offer, can make lower-res images ‘workable’ — though the process can be daunting.

Many freelance and amateur designers (like myself) simply lack the time or experience to properly enlarge/vectorize the lo-res images we get from clients. Creating a tutorial(s) that shows the process, then optimum ‘starting settings’ for general use, then continues with tweaking examples by displaying how each tool works would be invaluable.

2. Fazla Alahi says:

didn’t get help

• Pixel & Bracket says:

+Fazle Elahi sorry to hear, what might you be looking for?

• Atonement says:

hi! didn’t work for me either 🙁 when I scale down my 3360 x 840 original image to 1200 x 300 it gets very pixelated, which is a problem because I want to use it as a header. any ideas on what could be going wrong there? thanks a ton!

• Pixel & Bracket says:

That’s nearly 3x less pixels to make up the image, so it’s going to lose some of its clarity. But if you’re using it as a header for something sized 1200×300 that’s really the best you can do. View it at 100%, that’s how it will look on screen

• New Coke says:

Im trying to scale down a 63×32 image to 22×17.

3. Rob OX says:

Finally, I’ve been searching for a good tutorial on resizing in photoshop, thank you!!

4. Guslal M says:

this tutorial save my life !!! thx

5. Ali Montaseri says:

thanks for your solution, I’m fresh in it and you helped me so much.

6. Venkat Iyengar says:

That was awesome, thanks a ton!

7. Cicero Gilreath says:

Great tutorial and thank you for sharing it, question: is this the same process regardless of what size you choose to print?

8. Kayleigh Doopan says:

Thank you so much this helped me a lot!!

9. Dominique. says:

YOURE A GODSEND. KNOW THIS.<3

10. PXJesse says:

Hey man, I loved this old intro song, what’s it called? It sounds a lot like Proleter’s Can’t Stop Me, but I couldn’t find it online…

11. thethomasboy says:

Step 1: Start with a high-res image.
    Step 2: Done.

…Helpful. Thanks.

12. Carrie Campbell says:

Omg thank you!!!!!!!! I completely forgot this while trying to create composited photos for class.. dude you saved my grade! Yay I can finish my fictional photography class!!!! I hope this works!

13. Job Martin says:

Well, thank you, sir, for solving a problem I’ve dinged around with for a thousand years Right When It Really Counted! Thank you!

14. Jesse says:

that was great … I learned something new. Thanks !

15. hey says:

When you’re so confused and don’t know what you are confused about so you type random things on youtube

16. Sierra Nets says:

Great explanation!! Not too much fluff and just enough information to make me fully understand this. The only recommendation I would have moving forward is to maybe explain what you need to do for PCs as well as Max. Luckily, I know enough to know how to translate it. Thanks for the help!

17. Bryte Eyez says:

OMG Thank you! I first searched for a font or premade. I wanted it the font to place in the corner of a photo we are mounting to the wall in our Gallery. Nearly fell out of my chair learning how easy it is.
    Again I thank you.💕

18. Bryte Eyez says:

Thank you, I am near tears. I had a very nostalgic snapshot of my now deceased mother. Unfortunately the only copy of that image was 72 resolution (pulled from Facebook archives)..
    I desperately needed/wanted too be able to print to a 20×60. I had tried many things such as printing it out then scanning it back in as a slightly larger size.

19. Robert Peltzman says:

Wow, no one in my photo club could figure out how to resize down w/o getting all pixelated. THANK YOU! Now I know.